Saturday, March 30, 2013

Plot Preparation 2013

We finally found some time to prep our plots for this planting season.  Here is what they looked like when we arrived this morning:






















And here is what they looked like just over a few hours later:


It was a perfect day to be out in the garden; sunny but not too hot. We were able to pull up most of the weeds and lay down mulch pathways.  We brought a couple of the hens in our plots to keep us company - they love picking out all the bugs and worms when we turn over the soil.

It was a lot of work and I'm glad we got the hard part out of the way.  With two plots and a greenhouse table this year, we are hoping to get a lot of yield this year!  (I will keep my fingers crossed that most of what we plant grows!)

Other than getting the weeds out and laying down some mulch, I just added some rock dust to the soil.  Once I get the seeds in, I'll water them with a kelp mixture.

The organic garlic I planted in the fall seems to be doing well: 


Next up, planting these seeds!:


This year, we'll be planting mostly the same things we did last year.  We'll do less kale (who knew one kale plant could produce for so many months?) and more squash.  We are also going to try our hand at growing peppers and quinoa.  I'm a bit late for starting tomatoes but I'm thinking about starting them in the greenhouse this week and seeing what happens.  We will also be adding carrots and brussels sprouts to our plots this year.  I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go----I have some scalloppini (sp?) squash plants started---I can maybe bring a few over whenever I come next. They are like the little pattypan squash that you can eat when they are bite-sized

    ReplyDelete